Welcome

Welcome to My Class Blog!

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Overview

Summer is moving forward. Its been seasonly hot and humid with violent storms and power outages. This was the first summer I taught summer school at my University. Six weeks flew by fast. This summer marks the end of my first year in the doctoral program at the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa. Following the program of study, I am completing (2) 3 credit hour courses (Statistics and Distance Technologies) over my summer break. I am one year out but closer to my Dad's dream of me obtaining a doctorate. Yes, I said, Dad...My Dad is 80 years of age and a retired principal of a large vocational high school. He put this task of seeing me graduate with the EdD on his "buck list."  I am on the downside of my classroom experience and approaching my 30 year as a State of Maryland employee. It would be awesome to retire as Dr. Crystal Day-Black. Not having the age to retire, I can start a new career.

 As reflect on my own experiences relevant to the course, I must admit that I  have found a new passion after 15 years of teaching in higher education. Since being introduced to Microsoft Office, Blackboard and Web 2.0 tools, I have fallen in love with technology. I own a labtop, a desktop, a netbook, an Ipad, an IPOD Touch 4th generation, and a Droid Razor Max smart phone. I have been self-motivated to read and learn as much as I can about how I can integrate technological advances within the confines of my classroom. I am proactive when it comes to the many advantages technology brings. I sought out opportunities to learn merge technology in my course work initially through workshops, As an educator, I believe that knowledge is true power. Access via the web is the key that opens that door.

This summer, I have been learning a lot in both courses. This blog is to reflect on what I have absorbed from being engaged in readings, discussions, independent and group work. The purpose of AIL 604: Distance Technologies was to prepare us with knowledge and skills in methods of distance education that incorporates telecommunications and computer technology to instruct students at remote locations or to serve as an adjunct to classroom instruction.


No comments:

Post a Comment